Monday, September 4, 2017

Prayers for the First Day

I sit here yet again, on the eve of the first day of school. So many thoughts running through my mind! Excitement for my kids and the start of yet another year of growth; anxiousness about all that will come from this school year; sadness about the summer coming to an end and not being with my kids all day; joy for learning and growing.

Last year I wrote about the teachers and the awesome Superheros they are. I will always believe that they are superheros. You can read that post here on my other blog.

This year God is pushing me to write a little different post. This year I have a prayer for everyone. Tonight I share with each of year comfort for the new year.

Teachers, as you begin a new school year, whether it's your 20th or your 1st, I hope you are excited! I know to some it's just a job, but I hope you know that these kid's love you. From the first time they met you to the very last day, they hold a special place in their hearts for you. Whether they are the "trouble maker", the "talkative" one, or the quiet, sweet one; each child in your classroom is there for a reason. Love each one! Find out why God placed that child in your care for the year. Remind yourself often that behind (most) children there are scared, nervous parents who leave that child each and every day in your care for 6 hours. I pray for you that you can look beyond the stress this year of curriculum's and lesson plans and mandatory test results and reports, and be someone special to those special ones in your care for the day. Greet each one with a smile, a hug and look into their eyes and let them know you care. Make this the best year ever!

Parents, the time has come! It's time to push that little one out the door and into the world. It's time to watch them grow, become more independent. It's time to let them become social, make new friends. It's time to let them make mistakes, so they can learn about life. It's time to put a smile on our faces, even when we want to cry, and be joyful and excited about the new journey they are about to embark on. This one is hard for me, I want to cry watching my oldest begin an important year in her high school life. It's junior year and she is prepping for her college application. She's busy with clubs, organizations, sports, AP classes and volunteer hours. She's becoming a young adult, and while I am excited and proud of the young person she is, I miss the baby girl who would climb into my lap and watch tv with me! My youngest daughter is embarking on the hardest journey of her life, thus far. She is starting a new school, walking into 6 different classes by herself, and learning to navigate this "big girl" thing. I look at her with tears in my eyes, with pride in  my smile, missing the baby girl who was excited about rain puddles to jump in and is now worried about her hair and outfit for the day. She will rock this school year, I know she will, but I also know it will be a rough road to navigate. Through anxious smiles and tears of excitement (that's what I tell her) we will get through this together. And my baby boy! He's the only one left in Elementary school this year. He's excited about so much, becoming more independent, making new friends and learning. But he's scared at the same time, his sister is no longer in the same school! He's becoming a little man! So parents, we all have our fears for our kids, anxiety of the school year and most of all sadness that they are growing up. But that's ok, because that all means we are doing our job! We must send them off, share them with the world, with those amazing teachers and show off all the hard work we have put into these little people! And remember, those awesome teachers will love and care for them!

Students, you aren't left out! I pray that you grab this school year with excitement and conquer it! Give it all you have! Walk into every classroom with a smile, greet your teachers with a smile and let them know you are here to learn. Make your parents proud, use your manners (this is important, it gets you far in life and so simple to do). In our house we start each day with a prayer. Each child says a small prayer before they leave the house, it reminds them that God is always with them, all day, each day. Kid's, we as adults expect so much from you this day in age, life is stressful, we parents forget that sometimes. Remind us gently that you are still kids. Remind us that you still want a hug, you want to forget about school sometimes and just hang out. Remind us that you still want to be a kid and sometimes forget about those hours of school work. We parents forget, and that's ok, we are human and make mistakes. But most importantly, be yourself this school year! Don't be anyone else, don't try to act like anyone else. God made you, you yourself, not you like someone else. Embrace your quirks, love your differences and shine like the light God created you to be!

This school year will be amazing. Teachers, Parents and students will rock it the way it should be. Each day will have it's ups and downs but together everyone will make it great. Remember to always shine, smile even when sad, and find the gratitude in everyday. Tonight as I pray for my kids and their first days, I will include teachers and parents every where in hopes that everyone has a great year. Because there's not much we can control in life, but we can control our light, so let's shine this year everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW WEBSITE

We've moved!! Our blog grew out of this platform and I'm so excited to have you follow us over to our new site! So many new thin...