Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pillowcase Dresses

Over the summer I saw online a picture of a pillowcase dress and thought it was the cutest and most simple dress in the world. When I started my adventure in sewing I decided I was going to start with the pillowcase dresses for my 2 daughters. I was right, it was by far the most simple dress in the world. And dumb me even went out and wasted money on a simple pattern. As my sewing gets better and I dare to do more things, I find myself turning to the Internet for ideas and suggestions. I have found so many different pillowcase dress ideas and tips, and have even found where I don't have to use a pattern at all! Since my first pillowcase dress I have sewn 2 for birthday presents, and 3 for my youngest daughter.


Hawaiian print pillowcase dress for 2 year old birthday girl!
 I have gathered a ton of information on sewing pillowcase dresses. These are great dresses for girls during spring and summer and even in the fall with a shirt underneath. If you are venturing in making this adorable dress I have below the simplest instructions for you! I have compiled this information from a ton of websites and developed an easy to follow directions!

Simple (and generic) measurements:
Dress lengths: 6 - 9 months 14 inches; 12 months 15.5 inches; 18 months 17.5 inches; 2T 19.5 inches; 3T 21 inches; 4T 22 inches; 5/6 24 inches; 7/8 26 inches
(take a quick measurement of your daughter to make sure this is close to being correct!)
Dress widths: 6 - 18 months, 15 inches; 2T - 4T, 16 - 20 inches; 5 - 6, 21 - 24 inches
(Again, measure around your daughters chest to make sure this measurement would be comfortable on her!)
Armholes: 6month to 2T down 3 inches, in 1.5 inches; 3T - 4T down 4 inches, in 2 inches; 4 to 5 down 5 or 6 inches, in 2 inches; size 6 down 7 or 8 inches, in 2 inches
(I have used other dresses or tank tops as a pattern to make armholes plenty of times. If you are afraid of this step use a pattern!)


Cinderella pillowcase dress for a 4 year old birthday girl!
OK, so find you material you would like to make the dress. In my example I am going to pretend I am making a 2T dress. I am going to cut 2 pieces of material 19.5 inches by 20 inches (I would probably just round and make it 20 by 20!). Then I am going to cut the arm holes at the top of the dress 3 inches down and in 1.5 inches. This is it for the cutting! Next I am going to straight stitch up the sides of the dress. Next I would take some double fold bias tape (get a color that matches your material) and sew the arm holes. This is wear you can be creative, I have used material for the bias tape on some dresses, I have sewn it so that half is outside the armhole and you can see it. Have fun with it!! After the armholes, you need to do the neck. I use single fold 1 inch bias tape to make the casting so I can insert the ribbon. Once the top is done I hem the dress and your almost done! The next step you can be creative with as well, you can either get some ribbon for the next or you can make your own tie. If you choose to make it using material I cut mine 3 inches by 44 inches. I steam the material in half lengthwise, open it up and fold the ends to the middle. Then sew it up, this will make a 44 inches long tie by .75 inches wide. This will tie on one shoulder instead of 2.

I know those directions were not written for the novice. I will write another post in the future with pictures and detailed instructions. I hope these measurement and quick directions will get you started!

Enjoy sewing and please share your creations with me!!

2 comments:

  1. Love this Kerry! I bought Em one of these last yr and then realized i could've made it. Thanks for posting. I always enjoy reading your blog. I just started my own too: embracingholland.blogspot.com

    ~Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaclyn! Have fun making some dresses for Em, she will like them and thanks for your blog info, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

NEW WEBSITE

We've moved!! Our blog grew out of this platform and I'm so excited to have you follow us over to our new site! So many new thin...