Friday, February 18, 2011

Harmful Chemicals to try and avoid

Ok, so a couple of years ago I become a little nuts with all the buzz going around about being green and avoiding all these harmful chemicals and using all natural products and eating organic. I researched everything, stood in store aisles and read every label I could looking for the right product with the least amount of chemicals and the most natural ones. I was driving myself nuts! I was driving my family crazy as well. My parents and my brothers kept telling me we were fine and we grew up using it all. But I wasn't satisfied until I knew everything! Am I the only one out there?
Since this rampage I have changed everyones shampoos, conditioners, body washes, toothpaste, lotions, fingernail polish and remover, laundry soap and even cleanig supplies. I still read labels if I want to try something new but I don't go nuts about it. I have done my research now and I know what to look for and what to avoid. So I thought for those of you that may be going crazy like I was I would give you a short list of things to try and avoid in products:
  • Parabens! Avoid parabens as much as possible. They are often found in cosmetics such as shampoos, conditioner, washes and lotions. It is said to mimic estrogen which can eventually lead to breast cancer.
  • Phthalates! This chemical is bad and the research is horrible so I am going to leave you with this...AVOID IT!! 
  • BPA - this is a popular one right now. BPA is found in many plastics and is harmful to humans. Europe has banned the use of it in any of their products. This is especially harmful to babies, so avoid any bottles or cups that may contain BPA in them.
I will continue to write more posts on my continued stress over avoiding chemicals in my kids lives. I have a list on this blog of items that I use on my kids, and all these products avoid these above mentions harmful chemicals. Please continue to share with me your feelings and stressful moments! I don't want to feel like I am by myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW WEBSITE

We've moved!! Our blog grew out of this platform and I'm so excited to have you follow us over to our new site! So many new thin...