Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My New Love of Sewing

This page is my place to share all my new experiences with sewing. I grew up with my mom sewing everything from our clothes, to my doll clothes, to curtains and pillows. You name it she sewed it. There was nothing she couldn't do with that machine. My mom tried for years to teach me to sew and I had no desire to learn. I always made her make me everything I wanted, even my prom dress! When I was younger I got a Cabbage Patch Kid sewing macine for Christmas, I guess her attempt to get me interested so I could sew with her. Didn't work! So, last spring I had my 3rd child, our first boy. For years now I have been dressing our 2 girls in matching clothes for every holiday, every vacation and sometimes just to hang out around the house. Once we had our son, I didn't change! I wanted all 3 kids to match! This task of buying a 10 year old, 5 year old and newborn matching outfits is hard! You can spend tons of money on outfits they are only going to wear a few times! I wasn't going to give up...so my idea, learn to sew! My mom thought I was nuts! Infact she doesn't really so much anymore for a number of reasons being it takes up a lot of time, the cost of material has gone up so much and patterns themselves cost a fortune! But nothing was going to stop me, I was going to learn to sew and sew all 3 kids matching outfits!
I bought my material, found the patterns I wanted and bought them got my mom's sewing machine and I was ready. My mom gave me a couple of lessons on the basics and she walked me through making one of the dresses for the girls. After that I was on my own! Needless to say with a couple of hiccups along the way, I finished all 3 outfits, and they looked great! The kids got professional pictures done in them and our baby even wore his to a wedding! They looked great, and the best part is I love sewing now!
Since this venture, my parents bought me a sewing machine for Christmas, which I got on Black Friday at a steal! I made the baby 7 sleepers which we gave him for Christmas, I made our oldest 5 pairs of lounge pants we gave her for Christmas and our youngest daugter for 7 new dresses with matching bows all made by me for Christmas! I love this sewing thing. I buy everything on sale, and those that aren't on sale I use a coupon. I shop the clearance and for major deals. In the end everything I make is A LOT cheaper then going to the store and buying an outfit new! I have made 2 rompers for girl twins for their first birthday, a dress for a 2 year old for her birthday gift and currently making a Jon Jon for a 1 year old for his birthday. So not only amd I saving a ton of money but I'm having fun creating all these new things!
I am going to continue to sew and create new items and as I do I will share them on here! Please share your items and tricks and tips and new creations with me! I am always ready to try new things!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW WEBSITE

We've moved!! Our blog grew out of this platform and I'm so excited to have you follow us over to our new site! So many new thin...