Sunday, February 13, 2011

Couponing Overload

I have cut coupons for years now and saved tons of money. It's like a high for me, watching the total at the register drop and only having to pay very little for a lot! I only shop onsale and with coupons for everything. Christmas presents are bought throughout the year while items are on sale. Clothes are bought on sale and usually with a coupon. I have learned to beat the system and I LOVE it. So last year I didn't cut out grocery coupons. I started slacking off while getting ready for the new baby and when we brought him home from the hospital my husband took over the duty of cooking dinner and I never wanted to take it back. So he started doing some of the grocery shopping, and he would NEVER take the time to cut coupons! Since we started this Spending Diet in January I knew one place to cut back on spending money was grocery shopping. So I started cutting coupons again and looking at the sales ads. I started Googling coupon matchups for my favorite grocery stores. The first couple of weeks I was running to a bunch of different grocery stores for a couple of things at each store. It was madness! So I started a new plan....

Each Saturday morning I have to take my daughter to ballet class. Down the street from the studio is a very nice Food Lion. This is where I have choosen to do my grocery shopping. I get the ads on Tuesday and matchup all the sales to all the coupons I have. I don't buy anything that is not on sale and I have a coupon. We then use whatever is in the house that week for dinners. 2 weeks ago I saved over $90 on our weekly groceries and this past week I only spend $37 on groceries. There is only one grocery store that carries the brand of yogurt that we feed the baby so I did have to make another stop, but I had coupons! My goal is to spend $50 to $75 on groceries each week for our family of 5. Once I get my "mini" stockpile (I call it this because I don't want to have a huge stockpile of groceries sitting in my house) I should be able to spend only $50 a week.

So in addition to the weekly trip to Food Lion I also have choosen to shop at Walgreens for medicine, health items and some food. We have a Walgreens close to our house, which is the reason I have choosen to shop there. I constantly look at Target ads and if there is a steal of a deal I will make a trip over there.
I know the major money savers compare all stores and always find the best deals. I don't have the time to do that! Hence the reason why I have choosen only a few stores. For those individuals who are just starting to save money but cutting coupons and matching sales I would start by using these tips. Choose just one or two stores and begin the process by using the interent. There are hundreds of websites that already do the sales and coupon matchups for you. Let them do it and it will save you hours of your own time! After awhile you will get the hang of it yourself and be able to match them up yourselves.
If you really want to begin saving your family tons of money, start this practice. Reach out to the websites for help, in the end it really will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW WEBSITE

We've moved!! Our blog grew out of this platform and I'm so excited to have you follow us over to our new site! So many new thin...